Bougie Grubs Carbonara
May is BUSY! With school events, end-of-year ceremonies, and summer approaching, I use this quick recipe on days when we need a good meal.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup thick-cut bacon, diced
4 tsp minced garlic cloves
2 whole eggs
1 cup grated Parmesan
1 pound spaghetti
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Put a large pot of salted water on to boil and add noodles.
2. While the water is coming to a boil, heat the olive oil in a Dutch Oven or large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook slowly until crispy.
3. Add the garlic and cook another minute, then remove from heat.
4. In a small bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the cheese.
5. When the pasta is done (still a little firm, not mushy), reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Drain the remaining water and add it to bacon mixture.
6. Add the egg mixture to Dutch Oven, as you want the pasta to be hot. The heat of the pasta will heat the eggs sufficiently to create a creamy sauce. Add as much pasta water as needed to thin the sauce if needed. Stirring the egg mixture quickly into the pasta, which should be hot enough to "cook" the egg to make a sauce but not so hot as to make it curdle.
7. Toss everything to combine. Add black pepper and Italian herbs, and toss again.
8. Serve immediately, top with microgreens (optional), and Enjoy.